Monday, July 7, 2008

My heart aches..My heart bleeds...

Today's (7th Jul 08) newspapers have reported the tragic death of 2 workers while working at a construction site in Kakkanad , Kerala.

http://www.thehindu.com/2008/07/07/stories/2008070757980300.htm

And to add to the shock , this is the second such incident happening at the construction premises of the same builder..

Who is bothered about the death of these poor workers ? Most of them are from outside Kerala. This must be at least a 5th such incident I have read in newspapers.

Each time I read such news , my heart aches...
Which party or which union would raise voice for protecting these unfortunate who toil in such unsafe working environments just to eat twice ( or thrice ??)a day. I am sure that their wages also must be very low compared to the workers in Kerala.

I realise that I live in heaven when I read such news..All my problems are nothing..

It was my dream or ambition when I was a teenager to work for the society when I grow up .But ,today I need to work for the whole day to earn a decent livelihood for my family. Where is the time for social work ?

I wait for the day when I could spare some time for the less fortunate..May be , my son has to grow up a bit more to take care of himself..

My heart aches..my heart bleeds..

No comments: